There is hope of being freed from sexual sin. I know that God has set me free with a lot of hard work, time, and sacrifice.
Search your heart and see if you truly do want to quit living under the slavery of sexual addiction. Think of this, if being truly freed meant getting rid of (Facebook, Youtube, Google image search, freedom on your PC and smartphone, or even embarrassment), is it still worth it to you?….
Sacrifice for the sake of fully giving all of you to Christ always reminds me of an awesome story written by C. S. Lewis in one of his books named “The Great Divorce”. You can read it here. It’s about a “ghost” who makes up every single excuse to not be freed from sexual sin, “the red lizard”.
If we can be honest with ourselves, our flesh does not want to be freed from the grip of sexual sin. It is a comfortable place for those who are addicted. In fact, if it wasn’t comfortable then you wouldn’t return to it. There is something inside of you that wants to hold on for dear life to this comfort.
For those who do not believe this will be complete foolishness, but there is a spiritual battle which binds us to this addiction. If you do not give this over to Christ it will always feel like freedom is out of reach. The idea that sexual sin is a comfort and that our minds think its a necessity, is completely subconscious. I have found that journaling, although tedious in my experience, is very helpful to bring thoughts to the surface which have been buried and locked in our subconscious for quite some time.
There is also a physical battle against sexual sin, if we have access to this garbage we will not have strength to use self control. This is the part which takes true sacrifice. It.. Is.. not… fun.
Blocking access to something that makes us feel comfortable will not help in itself. What it will do, is put up a first defense to your own thought life. Try to stop and ask yourself, ” Wait a second, what am I doing on this website in the first place”.
Do not be discouraged when you start to look for ways around the filters/blocks. I have found that our brains are able to trick us into justifying almost anything! Just “patch” any loopholes you find by tweaking the filters/blocks on your PC/smartphone.
Find an accountability partner that is just as passionate about helping you succeed as you are about helping them. This is another crucial element to fighting the physical battle with your “brothers/sisters in arms”. Like Aaron who held Moses’ arms up when he was too tired to continue.
For those who have tried and tried again,
1. Gain a relationship with Jesus Christ. This is the first and foremost step. If this is not completed, you will ultimately have no fruit.
2. Get rid of all access to sexual sin. (Burn, delete, destroy, etc.)
3. Put blocks/filters on your PC and/or smartphone where someone else has the password. (*I recommend K-9 web filter, and netnanny)
4. Get involved in accountability of some sort. (Friend, family, Leader at church, spouse, or online accountability.)
5. Try settingcaptivesfree.com – Free 60 day course to freedom and daily accountability partner. ( for sexual sin, smoking, drinking, eating, etc.)
6. If all else fails seek paid/free in person counseling. Often times there is something deeper that has hurt you and you are running to sexual sin to be your safe heaven (comfort). A Christian Counselor can help unveil what may be holding you back from living a life free from sexual sin.
Please, check out the free resources on the “resource tab” or click here.